Wednesday, December 8, 2010

What are pictures really?


What do the blind see from a picture? Rather what do the seeing see in a picture? If you have had any part in the picture you no long see the picture, you feel the memory. So how do the blind capture memories? Maybe they feel them better in the first place without all the snapping of lenses and rushing to capture the moment instead of feeling it. For some reason I have a recurrence memory of the day I went for a walk to the perch pub and it is very clear, in fact more clear than most, but at the time I remember scolding myself for forgetting my camera. But most memories are brought back by more than looks or a still frame of another time. Smells tend to bring back memories, I'll smell woodsmoke and remember cold days sitting by the back door watching the embers and smoke, wishing the heat would come on soon. Now that is an image I would never take a picture of, is the smell my "picture" in a way, the capturing of a memory. It's harder to capture a smell than a picture, and in that way it is like the return of the memory has to choose you. There are sounds of course, and sounds frame and capture time, look at radio. Roosevelt's speeches during his presidency certainly capture a time period, and I'm sure to any one who lived through the time the voice of FDR still triggers certain memories. Bells and organs will always remind me of trying to get to sleep in England and the consistency of the chime every hour. So how can we capture a memory? There is no way to take all of our sense back to the memory at once. So we must rely on bits and pieces of our a sense to capture a moment that has already past. And perhaps hiding behind a lens we never saw it. Here is a picture of place you need 5 senses to know, but it's the best I can do.

1 comment:

storyspace said...

I love the pondering,made me think nice job...