Friday, November 12, 2010

Pain: yours, mine, and ours


Ever since Christopher Rick's gave that lecture on pain, I have been thinking about the representation of pain. I think it is true that no one can feel an other's pain, or feel the pain that was once theirs but no longer exists. And who is to measure our pain? If the atrocity, circumstance, aliment (creator of the pain) is different for everyone who gets to have a painometer? As Austen says one half of the world doesn't understand the pleasure of the other, isn't' that true with pain one half doesn't understand the pain of another? Is pain measured by severity? Does a starving person always hurt more than a person who is well fed but broken from words? I remember when I skated I got a very bad cut on my leg that got infected and became green. When I finally brought it in to the doctor they told me I was very lucky I came in when I did because it could have become gangrene which in very bad cases ends in amputation. I remember being frightened and wasn't able to walk on it for a few days, but I really don't have any recollection of the pain. However there are words, rejections, places that when I think about still hurt. So what is pain? And what is the pain of others, it certainly is not ours, and yet isn't it our responsibility to try and understand?

No comments: