Thursday, October 28, 2010

Outside looking in


Tonight I was talking to someone about writing as an outsider. Really it is the only way to fully understand a group of people. You have to be on the fringes of a certain society to really know them. No one understand the group they are in or the role they are playing. I seriously could not tell you fully what I'm like as a person, or even what sort of friends I have; I could however tell you very accurately about groups I never quite fit into. And the further you grow from different relationships the easier it is to see the person in full. I think that's why it's so easy to be cynical of other people, because you can see their flaws so much easier than your own. We were talking about F.Scott Fitzergald and how though perhaps he never quite fit into society he was able to beautifully personify. He captured the jazz age without actually being admitted into it. I have a funny feeling that the servants at the party could tell you more about the guests than the hosts could. It's the feeling of being removed, and yet present that makes good literature. These were just my thoughts. Any more?

No comments: