Sunday, October 24, 2010

Messy



A crumpled up bag of mint cookies mockingly sits on my window sill, it's trying to make a point: clean you slob. My mother always buys me mint cookies before I leave home, and then insists on having a few before I take them. I secretly enjoy this habit (tradition) mostly because I'm never able to finish the cookies. Of course it's not just the cookies that are screaming at me to clean up, it's the tissues and the piles of notebooks too... Maybe my life is a heap of untidy things, like Thatcher's office. I hope that Thatcher's office is not something that editors cut out of my book. I was reading that Jane Austen had lots edits in her book, which I really don't think makes her any less of a writer to me, considering the bulk of the edits seemed to be grammatical issues. In my opinion the real writers are the ones with the imagination and the ability to tell the story, but everyone has a different take on this; some think that grammar should be emphasized and others think the story is more important. Undeniably both are important to good writing, and I am working on the latter. Jane is also working on the grammar. I should be working on the shakespeare and the grammar.

No comments: