Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Distance

Muffled voices and frozen screens makes one feel very far far away. My skype connection is faulty at best- I can't seem to get a non-pixilated picture of anyone up. It is trying to show me the distance between Oxford and the Boston- here and home. I guess it is over 3,000 miles or so and skype is just letting me know. Although even my in country skypes are interrupted by bad connections. Oxford likes things to be very pretty and look very grand, but i have found the technology lacking....

Besides the distance there is also time to consider, time makes you feel far away- the empty space of time with you gone. My father has told me about a dozen home improvements he hopes to put in. In a way it is as though no time has changed when I hear my father stop talking about one of his many projects then I can start to feel far. But that is just physical things doors-pools- I'm sure there are a lot of other changes that have happened between me and the distance. My friends back home seem distracted on skype they are far, in miles and thoughts... but then how can you be on the same wave length this far apart? I'm not sure if conversation waves can travel that far...

In the meantime I have my own changes. I have my lovely sixteen pages to finish before Paris and two books to read, how these small details of my life will change me I do not know, maybe they won't. I bought a new dress today that was out of my budget, but my mother has been encouraging me buy it because I won't get another chance. It was a fun shopping excersion with one of my friends, we had both set up the afternoon to do papers but we took off and bought dresses instead. It was high table tonight so we felt justified in out decision; at least we had an occasion to wear the dresses. I should get working but it's doubtful at this moment. I miss my family, but at the same time I don't know if I can leave England in three weeks, it is one of the most beautiful places. I'll write again tomorrow.

1 comment:

storyspace said...

show me the dress,you excited. you are never far away.