Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Knight of High table


How many times can you say you had an intellectual conversation(or at least he was intellectual) with a man who has been knighted by the queen for his work in poetry and education? There was no pressure to keep up the social ettiquite or anything....Seriously though he was very laid back and said he preferred not to use the title. Tonight was high table dinner and it was my turn to sit at the high table with the speaker Sir Christopher Ricks, fortunately i was seated right across from him and was able to talk to him for much of the night. I was able to discuss my book and how to go about writing of others pain, he said that you cannot feel the pain of others because it is their pain- your characters pain, but there are ways to convey others pain. He told me some of his stories and his old army stories after we talked about my book. Despite my nerves I was able to enjoy the conversation. After the lecture we all went down to the beer cellar and bought me a ginger beer. It was an amazing night, even if the word amazing is not very intelligent sounding.
I have a lot of papers ahead of me. They are a bit daunting and my professors keep stressing the difference between american and british papers. I'm nervous that I'm not original enough for either class, which is stressing me out, but i'm really interested in my topic for british detectives. We'll see how it goes, if anyone has literature on how Doyle uses the exotic send it my way. I've found a few things thus far but i need more! Ps this picture is not from today but i thought it looked regal like high table...

No comments: