Sunday, July 11, 2010

Life, picnics, and literature


Running is one of the many things you can complain about doing in many cities, but not in Oxford where your eyes are constantly distracted by the professors passing in scholarly capes or the ornate carvings in the buildings. Your body forgets that you are working because your eyes have already become a students of the surroundings quickly picking up little details. I went on my first run in months, it was short but I was surprised how easily it passed. I thought I better go running after the college cookout (which we have every Sunday night). Today was relaxing I did a lot of reading and went to coffee shops and cafes with some people that I have just started to hang out with. Most everyone in the program are open and want to meet new people, and many are also in to literature!
Yesterday I explored a new college with Marissa. We went to Magdeoln college where C.S Lewis went, they also happen to have a deer park. Trinity is gorgeous, but some of these other colleges are so grand looking.
Last night was one of the best since I arrived in Oxford. We began the night with a picnic in the Oxford park, for which I bought a bottle of cider for 1.79lbs. Then a group decided to do this literary exersive while drinking, we each wrote a line of poetry then passed in on, but we folded the paper over so that you could only see the line of the person in front of you. It was great being surrounded by people who were so interested in writing. The poems were ridiculous...yet many of them connected quite well. Apparently it is a surrealist idea that if people write together like that their thoughts are on the same wave length..interesting. In fact it was proven true a few times last night. After we went to a bar, then the guys from our group found a person handing out free passes to a club. We went down the road to a basement club. It was great because everyone was dancing. I met a british guy who was in the air force and we dance and talked for a while about england ect.. it was fun talking to a local and he was very nice. After we got back and I skyped Rachel for a while, she has a short break from her Madrid people.
The world cup is on now so I think I might head down to the beer cellar for a while!

No comments: