Friday, July 9, 2010


The train stations in London have a grand feeling; making one feel very small. I feel like I am going back into time with the Victorian style dome; then when I walked into the city I'm transported into this very posh modern place with billboards and traffic. Today began with a stop to Westminister Abbey. I sound like a historians nightmare, but I just love putting my hands on old artifacts it makes me feel like I'm somehow connected to the past. Every wall was built over 700 years ago, I like to image different people making their way in and out of the Abbey what sort of occasions took place there; coronations, baptism, marriages.
After a group of us walked up to Trafalgar square to grab lunch. We ate an Italian restaurant which was relaxing, but we ended up getting charged 10lbs for bread! After I was determined to go to the imperial war museum to see the World War 1 exhibit. It was a hot day in London or rather for London (considering back home is 20 degrees higher), and we had to do great deal of walking to get there. I felt like I was dragging everyone all over the city to find it. Eventually we did find the museum and I was able to see the trenches and uniforms which was exciting! I ended up buying a set of replica iteam;s such as Wilfred Owens medical records and a newspaper from Armistice day. I also got a book of Poems from WW1, they were gorgeous, but also incredibly sad. If anyone is interested in some great WW1 poetry I found a few that really struck me. I am always questioning how to go about portraying that generation in my book, I think it is one of the most complex groups of people; wedged between two distinct eras, but with its own personality.

I think I'll do a little reading before bed. I'll sleep well tonight it was a stressful day.

No comments: