Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Posh Pimms



Oxford is mounted in traditions, we ceremoniously refrain from stepping on the grass, or wearing hats into the great hall. And tonight I was able to partake in one of Oxfords most famous traditions- high table. High table is a dinner in the great hall which is lit by candle light and everyone wears their best clothes. There are about 100 different literary allusions you could make to high table, you could call it dinner at Hogwarts or dinner at Lady Catherines, and you would be correct something about does seem fictional as though you were walking out of an 18th century novel. Perhaps Oxford is just the place for making a novel out of your life.

Before dinner a garden party took place and we were served Pimms a kind of lemonade gin combo that is popular with the British for a summer treat. There was of corse water and orange juice, but most of the group indulged in our pimms. The tutors came to the party and I was able to chat with my Jane Austen tutor. The lawns at Trinity remind me of Alice and Wonderland, especially since there was a crocaqe set on the lawn. After we went to dinner and were served 3 corses including duck, and cremedlcreme with pop rocks (an odd combination). After dinner the whole group went to the pub where some nice British guys introduced me to cider and bought me a half pint which i conveniently gave away having too much of my share of alcohol. My coke spilt during a picture and one of my friends from the program generously bought me another drink... Well I guess i got to try lots of different drinks despite my objections. When I got back to my room I skyped friends and family home, I guess it's about a hundred degrees there and seventy here, lovely! I miss everyone but Oxford is an amazing city and the people I am with are so easy to warm up to. As I end every blog, I'm heading off to sleep write tomorrow!